The job market in the NWT is doing very well. It is therefore generally possible to find a job fairly quickly. However, job search is not always easy.

For any information relating to the labor market, contact:

TNO Economic Development Council

4912 49th  Street Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4 Email : Website: .


The Government of the Northwest Territories  (GNWT)  will also be able to provide you with documentation, tools and information.

Department of Education, Culture and
Employment CP1320, Green Stone Building
Yellowknife, TNO, X1A 2L9

Job Search

Guichet emploi  offers a wide range of job search information and also posts job offers.

Jobsnorth  is a territorial government site displaying a variety of jobs in all regions of the NWT. Very interesting and updated daily.

Northern News Services  is the website for local newspapers. On this site you will find all job offers that are posted in local newspapers.

NWT Employment Standards

The Northwest Territories has passed laws that promote fairness in the workplace for both employers and employees. Be aware that there are also laws ruling on the establishment of a minimum wage on the number of hours that can be worked during the week, on compulsory holidays and other social benefits that employers must compulsorily grant to their employees. .

For more information on the Labor Standard Act, contact:

Labor Services
3rd Floor, Panda II Mall
PO Box 1320, Yellowknife, NWT, X1A 2L9
Telephone: 867-873-7486 or 1-888-700-5707 (toll free)
Fax: 867-873-0483

Employment Insurance

In Canada and the NWT, there are support mechanisms for people who are unemployed and need financial support. Thus, the employment insurance system aims to help,

for a limited period, people who have lost their jobs. The federal government deducts at source a percentage of the income of Canadian workers which it places in the employment insurance fund.

Workers have access to this fund if they lose their job. The benefits received allow them to support themselves while they look for another job or in the event of illness or pregnancy. We also offer training programs for people who are eligible for Employment Insurance and who need to upgrade their skills to find work. For more information on Employment Insurance, contact the Service Canada Center toll-free at 1-800-808-6352, or:

Service Canada
PO Box 1170, 5101 50th Avenue
Yellowknife, NWT, X1A 3Z4
Telephone: 867-766-8300
Fax: 867-873-362

Recognition of Skills and Foreign Diplomas

It goes without saying that a profession practiced abroad and a diploma obtained in a country other than Canada are not necessarily recognized in Canada. Indeed, there are several so-called regulated professions, and for which, for safety and health reasons, it is necessary to obtain authorization from the regulatory authorities before practicing this profession in Canada.

In each province or territory, the professional orders differ, and this, according to each type of trade or professions. The Collège Nordique francophone will help you get in touch with regulatory bodies. Contact:

Jean Pierre JOLY, General Manager
Collège Nordique francophone
4921, 49 e  rue, CP 986
Yellowknife, NT
Tel. : (867) 920-7017

Website to Consult:  – List of professional orders in Canada and the NWT, and information on credential recognition  – If you are interested in practicing a particular profession or trade, the ‘Working in Canada’ tool will provide you with the information you will need to obtain your licence, find a job and work in Canada, in addition to indicating the steps to be taken to achieve this.

Federal Foreign Credentials Referral Office